This list identifies various military records which I'm using to try to sort out
Richard Thompson and his family.
- Richard Thomson deposition in Lawrence County, KY - 1822
The deposition referenced above contains mention of Richard Thompson serving under
a Col. Abraham Bluford. I've come across one reference to this Bluford which states...
From Chalkeys Abstracts of Augusta, Vol. II., p. 493. "Wilson Roberts made declaration
Oct. 12, 1832; that he was born in Albermarle Co. May 13, 1762; that he volunteered under
Lieut. Robert Jouett; was in Division commanded by Liet. or Capt. Howard of Baltimore
afterwards in Regt. of Col Abraham Burford (called Bluford), Brigade of Genl. Scott; was
at Hanging Rock, or Warsaw Settlement when Bluford was defeated by Tarleton, May 29,
1780, only 25% of his Regt. escaped".
- DAR Patriot Index (1994 Edition) -- Richard Thompson: b. ca. 1742, died after
September 16, 1822. Kentucky. Married Margaret (--), Soldier NC VA
- Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the Revolution (pg. 181) Richard
- Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the Revolution (pg. 218) Soldiers in
Onslow County: Richard Thompson, Cmpl.
Anyone know what "Cmpl." stands for??
- Roster of Soldiers from North Carolina in the Revolution (pg. 509)
A list of Capt. Wood's Horse in Colo. Malmedy's Regiment includes "Rich'd Thompson,
- From "Virginians in the Revolution" (pg. 769)
Richard Thompson 10 CL, 14 CL, 15 CL
Any clues on the "CL" abbreviations??
Thanks Kevin C., I expect you're right. "CL"
is very likely the abbreviation for Continental Line.
- From Virginia Revolutionary War Records, (microfilm #983), page 367
"A list of Soldiers of the Virginia Line on Continental Establishment who have received
Certificates for the balances of their full pay agreeable to an act of Assembly passed
November session, 1781."
Richard Thompson, Sergt. Infantry, 20 May 1783, paid 29 4 6
If you have questions about the information you find here, or you can add to it, please
get in touch with me via e-mail at
Back to my Richard Thompson page.